Views from Daddy M
In case you are unaware, Apple TV Landed in Singapore
|Apple TV in Singapore|
I chanced upon the Apple TV when I was in the Nubox Apple store. For those who have not heard about Apple TV, you can read all about it from their official website.
Apple TV was launched in March. It was only made available in Singapore in June with the launch of the local iTunes store. I was intrigued by the little black box and wondered what it could do. After some research I summarised that apple tv can
- Be used to watch 1080 HD movies from the local iTunes store (*new feature)
- Be used to watch YouTube ,Vimeo and podcast channels
- Listen to Internet radio
- Be used to watch specify channels
- Stream contents from your iTunes account to tv
- Use AirPlay to link with your existing apple eco-system ( iPads, iPhones and itouch) and mirrors the contents on Tv (*new feature)
Apple TV is house in a clean white box with packaging and style similar to iPad . The contents within are as follow
|Apple TV unboxing|
- Apple TV module
- Power Cord
- Apple Remote
Apple TV sleek black box design is sleek and simple.
|Sleek Apple TV|
After hooking up to a tv, you need to spend a couple of minutes to set up. Basically you need to set up the wireless network, iTunes account, the YouTube account and the password to link up AirPlay between the Apple TV and iPads/iPhone. The user interface is rather simple. The first line shows the apps for iTunes link and general setting. The next line shows apps for third party video/music sources. For video sources, you have YouTube , vimeo and podcast. For music, you have access to a wide range of Internet radio as well.
For steaming from your computer, formats are mostly limited to iTunes - specific formats. Videos bought or rent from iTunes store can be shown in full hd (1080) format.
This is the main attractive why this little black box stands heads above other streaming media boxes is the ability for AirPlay mirroring. This means whatever media/ game on the iPad/ iPhone gets mirrored on the big screen.
This is great for sharing videos , movies and playing certain games like Fifa 12 and Asphalt.
Why I choose to buy Apple TV
- The boys enjoying watching videos on their own YouTube channel as well as other videos from YouTube. You can get a lot of educational as well as entertaining videos on YouTube for kids. Some of the channels we subscribe to are kidstv123 and sesamestreet. Now the boys can watch their favourite YouTube videos on tv without an iPad w
hile I get more opportunity to play with my toy at home. I get to watch some programmes like Auction Kings and Hollywood Treasures that are not readily available on local cable tv. Best of all, these programmes are free! (Some newer TVs are already providing internet TV, but interface is usually cumbersome. Moreover, you need to buy a new TV which can cost 5 to 10 times more.
- As an added accessory to our Apple Ecosytem ( iPad and iPhone) , the Apple TV gives us the ability to share our contents with the family (i.e. pictures and videos) . Makes a great tool for family gathering. However if one buys without an IPad, it may not be rated as highly
- With the ability to rent HD movie from iTunes, this little black box could turn out to be our very own home cinema library
- Portable, I can bring this to travel , hook it up to the tv and voila a personal entertainment media unit even when you are overseas
- Almost seamless streaming with the exception of a 2 to 3 sec lag time in loading ( I am on a 100 mbps Fiber plan)
Avaliable at most APPLE stores and Apple Online Store
Want to be featured in the "Wacky Lifestyle" segment? As long as you have a product that appeals to kids (and adults) and the product is seen as something new, something edgy, something different, something useful and/or something wacky, email us at email@example.com