Have you ever grapple with skin issues such as Dry Skin and Dandruff?Do your child exhibit signs of eczema?
The boys and I have shown signs of the above some stage of our lives. When Physiogel offered to let us trial some of their skincare solutions, we were eager to use it to protect our skin. However before we do it , we were curious as to how and when we should use these skincare solutions. It was thus beneficial for us to attend 'The Essential of Skin Care "Seminar Series sponsored by Physiogel to learn a thing or two about skincare management.
Let me share a few tips I have gathered during this educational 2 hours seminar which I think would be most useful to parents.
The Essentials of Skin SeminarThere were a total of 4 speakers during the Seminar. The topics covered for the day include common skin issues, the truth about dandruff , sun care protection and children's eczema.
|Left to right : Prof Goh, Dr Lynn Teo, Dr Particia Yue, Dr Jeny Tang|
What is sensitive skin? - Professor CL GohDo you know that sensitive skin is a lay term rather than a medical diagnosis? It is reported that almost half of men and women have reported some forms of sensitive skin.
|Slides from Professor CL Goh|
- Atopic Dermatitis - Inflammatory, relapsing , non contagious skin disorder. Patient usually display an impaired barrier function that render skin more susceptible to irritation such as soap.
- ACD - Skin Reaction following the development of an allergy. Some chemicals are known to commonly cause an allergic reaction.
- Steroid Facies - Skin disorder cause by excessive steroid usage.
Physiogel Lotion uses DMS to help repair skin and lock in moisture. It contains no colourants, no perfume and no preservatives and is suitable for dehydrated and sensitive skin on the body.
Physiogel Cleanser is suitable for all skin types and can be use on babies. It can be use for both face and body and it is meant to soothe and soften the skin without drying them.
The most important takeaway from this segment is when Prof Goh state that it is better not to self diagnose skin conditions. If in doubt , always consult a dermatologist for treatment.
The Truth about Dandruff - Dr Lynn TeoThe next interesting segment was the truth about dandruff. Dandruff had been my persistent issue when I was younger. Today Dr Lynn seek to bust the myths about dandruff. The common myths are
- Dermatitis is contagious
- Dandruff is caused by a dry scalp
- Dandruff means you should wash hair less often
- Oils are good for the scalp
- Special Shampoo can cure dandruff
Physiogel Shampoo plus is a good start for those with sensitive scalp.
|Physiogel Shampoo Plus|
Beauty and Sunblock- Dr Patricia YuenNext up is Dr Patricia and her recommendations on sun protection for the skin. An interesting observation is that many people think the stronger the sunblock , the longer they can stay in the sun. On the contrary, the protection time for sunblock is about the same regardless of strength. In fact incremental benefits for SPF >30 products only improves protection by a marginal % or so. In addition, we learn how to effectively apply sunblock. Do the following
- For the whole body, a handful or 2 table spoon of sunblock.
- For the face 1/4 teaspoon.
- Apply 30 minutes before exposure and reapply every 2 hours.
- Reapply after swimming or excessive sweating.
|Slides by Dr Patricia Yuen|
Managing Difficult Childhood Eczema - Dr Jenny TangPerhaps the topic that would most parents would be Children Eczema or Atopic Dermatitis. The causes of eczema in children are either genetic, environmental or both. The good news is that 50% of the children would be cleared by age 13. However some may persist into adulthood and they may develop additional conditions such as asthma and allergic rhinitis. The most important factor is to consult a skin doctor when this occur for them to prescribe the right course of treatment.
|Slides by Dr Jeny Tang|
- 1-2 times a day
- Use soap substitutes
- Avoid hot Water
- Use Physiogel Shower Cream with DMS during bath for daily cleansing.
|Apply the moisturiser often!|
Physiogel products are available at Guardian, unity, Watsons, selected clinics and hospital pharmacies.
|Physiogel AI Cream|
Tip on Proper SkincareDr Joyce Lim in conjunction with Physiogel also share her top tips on Proper Skincare
- Develop a regular schedule. Cleanse and moisturise your skin daily
- Choose the right cleanser. Use a gentle. soap-free cleanser with neutral pH. For those with sensitive skin, choose cleansers that leave a moisturising film behind after washing.
- Choose the right moisturiser. Use a moisturiser containing lipids that repair the skin and provide longer lasting hydration.
- Always apply moisturisers right after a shower to seal in the moisture. Towel dry your skin but leave you skin moist for better absorption.
- Learn about the common ingredients that go into your skincare products. Some ingredients like alcohol a can irritate skin, while ingredients like glycerine help to hold water in the skin.
- Always remove all make-up before going to bed. Overnight make-up will clog your pores and dehydrate your skin.
- Sleep well, eat well and drink lots of water!
|I am a Physiogel user|
1) Like The Wacky Duo Fanpage
2)Share this post via this link on our fanpage ( Click on the picture above for the link)
3)Comment on the same link when you have shared.
Remember good things must share ah...
Giveaway ends 11th May. Results will be out at Facebook on 13th May. Winners to respond by 20th May on delivery details, else giveaway will be forfeited. We reserve the right to choose another winner in this instance.For all with a valid Singapore address only. (Only readers who complete the above qualify, winners will be selected randomly, our decision is final)