LEGO Disney Minifigures has landed in Singapore.
We had been collecting LEGO Minifigures since special themes are introduced to the line of LEGO Minifigures series. As before, we will be providing a guide to how to get your favourite Lego Disney Minifgure. The difference from the past is that we had decided to get a whole box for ourselves. After all this is probably the best license minifigures till date. We have no doubt that this will be highly popular too given the Disney connections.
Most of the Disney minifigures are available for the first time. With the lack of probable Disney box sets on the horizons. This would be the only opportunity you can get for now to get your hand on LEGO Disney Minifigures.
What's in the box?
|Lego Disney Minifigures|
Check out our previous reviews
LEGO Movie Minifigures
LEGO Simpsons 1 Minifigures
LEGO Simpsons 2 Minifigures
LEGO Halloween Minifgures
Do note all the reviews are made under our own expenses. This is not a sponsored post (although LEGO, if you like what we did, we are open to a collaboration #justsaying #THISISAHINT)
Form the Disney Pixar range there is Buzz Lightyear, Alien, Mr Incredible and Syndrome.
From the list, you could see that this is quite an impressive list. Given Disney 's arsenal of characters, it would not be surprising to see LEGO Disney minifigures series 2 or 3. With characters such as Pluto, Goofy, Mulan from Disney as well as Pixar characters such as the cast from Inside Out and Big Hero 6, the possibilities are endless.
|LEGO Disney feel guide|
As before, each blind bag comes with one Lego Minifigure, a base plate and a mini poster which shows all the characters and instructions to build selected characters. For those who are interested in LEGO lore, this is the first time the LEGO minifigure characters guide is in landscape form and not portrait form.
Without future ado, here is a quick guide to get your favourite characters.
|LEGO Disney Stitch|
He is an alien and that makes technically 2 aliens in the series . Bet you do not know that!
- Short Legs (Cannot be move ) . Only 3 characters have short legs in this series,Stitch , Alien and Cheshire Cat
- Big head with long ears
- Short Legs
- Feel for the antenna on the Big Head
This is not Alien first appearance in LEGO, it had appeared in the Toy Story LEGO range before. The difference would be the new uniform the LEGO minifigure is wearing.
3 Buzz Lightyear
|LEGO Disney Buzz Lightyear|
'To infinity and beyond!' Woody's faithful sidekick (or is it the other way around ) in Toy Story.
- The rectangular shape wings are a tell take sign. Feel them and you will get Buzz.
- Feel the body suit to confirm
Like Alien, Buzz Lightyear had appeared in LEGO before. Honestly we prefer the old Buzz as it resembles the original character. The new rendition makes Buzz looks like an anonymous minifigure much unlike the character we love.
|LEGO Disney Aladdin|
Aladdin first appearance is in a 1992 film, titled ' Aladdin'. For younger generations, they would probably scratch their heads over this character. Older folks like me would appreciate the nostalgic touch behind this selection.
- The vessel is a good accessory to identify. However, do note the similarities between Aladdin and the Genie. Feel for his legs to confirm
- His headpiece is also unique with a circular shape on top.
|LEGO Disney Genie|
The genie is the vessel that can grant you wishes. It's great the genie makes an appearance as it is a silent tribute to the late Robin Williams who was the voice of Genie. One thing we do not quite get it is the odd shape ' helmet head' for the Genie. It might be better if that is omitted as it make the genie look like it is wearing a Roman helmet.
One more thing, why is the Genie holding a vessel?
- The vessel as per how Aladdin is identified
- Feel the odd shape legs for confirmation (he is the only one with this legs)
- The hair piece is detached from the 'helmet' head unlike the picture below
|LEGO Disney Maleficent|
A throwback to the 1950s, Maleficent is better known as the evil witch in Sleeping Beauty. She has gone solo for this series. Don't be surprise if Snow White and the 7 dwarfs made their appearance in the next. Among all the characters, this one takes the cake in terms of design. We love her headpiece!
- She is the only one wearing a dress. Forget about the headpiece, the triangular bottom half of the dress would identify her
- If you want to be doubly sure, feel for her magic staff. Note it is a three=part staff consist of a diamond, a top portion and a long stick. The photo below shows how the staff looks like when join
|LEGO Disney Alice|
Joining Maleficent from the Golden Age from the 50s would be Alice from Alice in Wonderland. Honestly, she might be a stranger to kids today. Ask 10 kids below 10 about the story of Alice and you would be lucky to find one that knows the tale. Regardless it is about time Alice joins the LEGO family given her 'age'.
- The bottle that she is holding is a dead giveaway
- To confirm look out for the 1 x 1 circular cookie she is holding
8 Cheshire Cat
|LEGO Disney Cheshire Cat|
Accompanying Alice would be Cheshire Cat. Honestly I do not know much about this mysterious cat especially how he got his purple strips.However in terms of appearance, it is very close to its original rendition.
- The tail. Feel for a rectangular shape accessory with a rubber tail attached.
- Short Legs would confirm that it is Cheshire Cat.
9 Daisy Duck
|LEGO Disney Daisy Duck|
So am I.
- The beak to determine that she is one of the duck
- The bow tie which will distinguish her from Donald
10 Donald Duck
|LEGO Disney Donald Duck|
The famous sidekick to Mickey Mouse, Disney iconic character. He might not reach the height of Micky's fame, but he is very well like in his own right. Together with Mickey and their spouses, this will make a very popular and hard to find minifigure.
- The beak to determine that he is one of the duck
- The jelly bean shape hat. It is easier to feel the 1x1 circular hole underneath rather than the bean shape hat itself
Donald goes hand in hand with Daisy, so collect them both. To complete the gang, it is wise to collect Mickey and Minne too.
11 Minnie Mouse
|LEGO Disney Minnie Mouse|
Meet the wife of Mickey Mouse. Least you argue that the pair is not married, Walt Disney himself confessed that in 1931.
- The ears are a dead giveaway for the pair of mice
- Feel the bow to confirm that it is mini
12 Mickey Mouse
|LEGO Disney Mickey Mouse|
- The ears are a dead giveaway
- There are only three piece to find. Be careful, you might mistake stitch for Mickey. Just feel his moveable legs for confirmation.
There is a hole on both Minnie and Mickey's head. Don't be alarm, it is not a design flaw as it is meant for Mickey to put on hats.
Since Mickey and Minnie are married, you should collect them as a pair. Don't forget Donald and Daisy and bring them to Disneyland the next time you are there!
13 Mr Incredible
Are you still waiting for The Incredible 2?
So are we... since 2004!
Thankfully there is news that they will be back in 2019. in the meantime, you can get Mr Incredible for this LEGO Disney series. To be honest, I thought he was Flash when I first saw him, He is missing the bulk of Mr Incredible and the head shape could be more realistic (aka Buzz Lightyear).
Can't wait to complete the family?
Get a couple of him and replace the hair piece to get the rest of them. In any case come 2019, when 'The Incredible 2 'releases, this might actually be a valuable piece.
- This is probably the easiest to feel with his standard headpiece and body
- The square printed tile would be the piece to confirm if you got the real deal
|LEGO Disney Syndrome|
- He is the only character with square printed tile
- The hairpiece would be the difference from Mr Incredible
15 Peter Pan
|LEGO Disney Peter Pan|
Rounding up the 1950s team would be Peter Pan and Captain Cook. Peter Pan is the boy that never grows up in Never Land. Some say he is probably in his 60s now, but you could not tell from his boyish appearance
- The daggers would be a dead giveaway. Do note the daggers comes in a pair that is stuck together as a singular piece. So don't feel for a single dagger but two daggers side by side link by a smallish piece in between
- The cone shape headpiece would be another tell-tale sign for Peter Pan
16 Captain Hook
|LEGO Disney Captain Hook|
- You can't go wrong with the headpiece. It is massive curve hat and hair piece is unique to him.
- You can feel the sword for confirmation, but it is really not necessary
Another epic battle scene can be created with Peter Pan and Captain Hook, so get them both to complete the scene.
|LEGO Disney Ursula|
- The large Octopus tentacles is distinct to Ursula
- Feel the Trident for confirmation
- The tail piece is easily identified
- The shell and the diamond would help to confirm
The sea beings belong together. Get Ursula and Ariel together for an underwater scene.
How to get a full set of LEGO Disney Minifigures (without burning a hole in the wallet)
The thrill of getting the full set on your own is the search for it. However, with the ever growing popularity of LEGO, this might be a tough route to take as the popular pieces will often 'disappear' very quickly if open. The best stores to get are at the LEGO certified stores and Toys R us. You could even get discount off the $5.50 price if you have membership in LEGO certified stores.
2 Go get a set at reasonable price at Carousell
There are good buys from Carousell. If you get it early, you still can get a decent set at fair value. Since the retail price is $5.5 a piece, you are paying close to retail price. Do get it earlier as price tends to appreciate after a few weeks. Getting from Carousell also save you the numerous trips (and travel expenses) you would otherwise have made in your hunt for the minifigures.
3 Get a box set
The contents of a full box as follows
3 Buzz Lightyear
3 Cheshire Cat
3 Donald Duck
3 Daisy Duck
4 Mickey Mouse
3 Minnie Mouse
4 Mr Incredible
3 Peter Pan
3 Captain Hook
You would have spares, but you would also have 3 full sets. Box retails at $330 but you could get discounts from shops that offers membership. If history repeats itself, getting a full box now would probably have meant a long waiting list. Most of the boxes are already prebook by collectors or *ahem* scalpers. Nonetheless, if you can get a box, make it more economical by sharing it with a friend or two.
4 Get a full Box at Legoland Disney Malaysia
If you are a premium LEGO member , you can get it at Myr 774 across the causeway at Legoland Malaysia. At today's exchange rate, price would be around $265. A whopping 20 % off local retail price.
No doubt the Disney Minifigures would be a popular draw given it's familiarity. With both giants combine, the LEGO Disney Minifigure is a must have for Disney and LEGO fans.
The least popular pieces would ironically be the 'older' characters such as Peter Pan, Alice, Captain Hook, Aladdin and Genie. Given that today's generation might have not known about them , getting them for younger kids would be a tough sell compared to the alternatives on hand. On the other hands, the Disney core gang of Mickey and Donald would be highly popular. Finding a full set at the department stores might be tougher than you think as the popular pieces such as the Disney icons Mickey and Donald would disappear within minutes when a new box open.
Once you have the full set, don't store it behind some permanent case, instead we recommend to put it in a LEGO Minifigure carrying case for display and easy access.